Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sounding Out the City Analysis


The excerpts from Sounding Out the City by Michael Bull brings up many interesting ideas about the barriers and connections created by the use of personal stereos. The article created some strong realizations of truth for me on the nature of musical devices and how they are used in public situations.

The reading on personal stereo use struck me as describing a circular problem that shutting oneself off from their surroundings both creates and prevents. Many of the people interviewed in this article describe themselves as shutting themselves off to the world using their personal devices, such as walk mans, and thus creating their own world. These devices discourage the interaction of others by separating the user into their own mindset and by helping to block out the unwanted elements of their surroundings. However, many of the interviewed device users also say that their device helps them to feel less lonely when they are, in fact, participating in activities alone. One user described going on her bike rides just “me and Scott Walker” referring to the singer on her cassette tapes. It's an interesting point that therefore, the stereo devices that are separating these people from others by creating a barrier are also creating a false sense of company for them when they have to face the world outside their houses alone. As someone who suffers from social anxiety, I have used an ipod many times to help put myself at ease when surrounded by strangers but it was not until reading this article that the idea of this is a very common and shared experience. While I am more likely to fumble with my phone to create a sense of being accompanied, I can also recognize the need to create a sense of companionship through technology when I am thrust out into an unfamiliar situation.

The section of the article about gaze was especially thought provoking as it described many people who, while using a personal stereo device, feel free to let their gaze wander in a way that they feel is less intrusive than if they were not walled off by their music. The thought that blocking off one sense to allow the more thorough use of another is not one that is altogether surprising. However, the article seems to describe a zoned out gaze that is not really connecting with what they see so much as the person letting their mind connect to what they were listening to.

As a photographer I have gone out shooting many times by myself with nothing but my camera and an ipod. I find that the use of familiar music helps me block out the distraction of new sounds in an unfamiliar surrounding so as to focus on only what I am seeing photographically. Maybe I am in danger of projecting the mood of what I am listening to into what I am photographing but that is an idea that I had not considered until reading this article.

Altogether this article presented me with ideas that I feel are deeply connected to myself and my own actions in a way that I had not considered before. While the technology focused on may be out of date now, the occurrence of these habits have grown far more widespread and are very present in everyone's interactions in the world and play a very prevalent part in our society.

No comments: